We had the wonderful opportunity to visit Esther at Wheaton last weekend. The Lord provided beautiful blue skies and sunshine on both traveling days there (Thursday Feb. 9) and back home (Sunday Feb. 12). We arrived at Wheaton with plenty of time to eat the supper we brought along down in the basement of Esther's dorm and then get dressed and ready to go to her sophomore piano recital.
| Here are some photos we took when we got to the |
After everyone got there, Dad, yes, Dad gave the announcement and prayer for it to begin! While we were there early, the stage manager had asked him. So that was kind of neat! 7 p.m. the recital began.
She played phenomenally! Ravel and Rachmaninoff.
| Stella made it for most of the recital. |
| This is the sophomore vocalist that shared the recital with Esther. |
| This is Esther with her roommate, Rachel, after the recital. |
Dad, Daniel, Timothy, and I stayed overnight at Stella and Dean's during our visit. So we all went "home" after the recital.
The next morning, Friday, we headed back to Wheaton to spend the day with Esther. First, Dad and I attended her Foundations in Ministry class. Her professor made a big deal of the visitors (there were others besides us), and Esther had to go to the front as well as all the choir members in the class and Dad and I. We all sang Happy Birthday to Esther because the professor found out that was one of the reasons for our visit. Then Dad and I took the quiz which was scheduled that day with the rest of the class. Dad only got one more wrong than Esther on it! Pretty smart, I think!! We mostly hung out at the college seeing Esther in between her other classes. And that day the snow started falling beautifully, and by the end of the day it was like a mini-blizzard! At night we went to a local pizza shop. The pizza was great!

We also visited a tea shop, Esther's church, and the local library in Wheaton. Then Rachel joined us to go to Stella and Dean's for supper. Stella made a great spaghetti supper and we had ice cream and delicious chocolate cake that she got at a special bakery.
The next morning, Friday, we headed back to Wheaton to spend the day with Esther. First, Dad and I attended her Foundations in Ministry class. Her professor made a big deal of the visitors (there were others besides us), and Esther had to go to the front as well as all the choir members in the class and Dad and I. We all sang Happy Birthday to Esther because the professor found out that was one of the reasons for our visit. Then Dad and I took the quiz which was scheduled that day with the rest of the class. Dad only got one more wrong than Esther on it! Pretty smart, I think!! We mostly hung out at the college seeing Esther in between her other classes. And that day the snow started falling beautifully, and by the end of the day it was like a mini-blizzard! At night we went to a local pizza shop. The pizza was great!
The next day was bright and blue sky and very beautiful! February 11. It was Esther's 20th birthday!!
After opening the few gifts we brought up in her dorm room, Esther, Daniel, Timothy, Dad and I walked downtown Wheaton to the places that Esther likes. It was really fun. We went to a little old candy shop, 100 years old!, which was BETWEEN two buildings. This skinny little shop had the two brick walls on both sides, and the candy was in bins on the left-side wall. You took a little white bag and chose the pieces you wanted, then went to the young man to pay. He was also popping fresh popcorn, so it smelled delicious when you walk in. Esther gave the boys each some money, and they really had a good time choosing their candy. It reminded me a lot like when I was young and buying penny candy! Only 1 or 2 groups could fit in the little shop at a time. Several came while we were there, there were more outside, and when we walked past when going back to the college, there was still a waiting line of more people! The shop had a RED door on it, and I think it was called The Little Candy Shop. I think it will be busy as long as it stays open because I'm sure many of the people returning came as children many years ago and are bringing their children and grandchildren! What a neat idea!
| 2 candles-one for each decade! |
Dean was sick over the weekend, but he was feeling well enough to join us on Saturday night.
1 comment:
Such nice pictures! It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun, and I'm glad you could spend Esther's birthday with her.
Post a Comment