Twenty- seven years ago on a Friday like today, I began my leave of absence to have my very first baby. I requested my leave of absence to begin on my due date (Sept. 24) which landed at the end of a work week, and I hoped the baby wouldn't take too long to come after my leave started. And starting her little life off just right, little Ruth gave us the weekend to get rested, and labor pains began after we had supper on Sunday night. Early afternoon on Monday September 27, 1982, little Ruth Ellen came into the world!
Since Ruth was the newest baby at church, and I had long hair like Mary would, and Dad had a beard like Joseph, when our church was asked by the city of Jamestown to furnish the Holy Family for the city Pageant, it was us they asked! We spent all day on a Saturday when Ruth was about 9 weeks old manning the manger, amidst crowds of people, the REAL animals, and little children eager to see the little baby in the manger. It was really fun, and Ruth was a perfect baby for the day, complete with some crying, and nursing breaks. Good thing she was our first so we didn't need to think of other children that day!Ruth at 6 months old.
Ruth's 1st birthday. 1983-Ashland, Wisconsin.
This is the little dress that Grandma and Grandpa gave to Ruth for her 1st birthday. As you can see Dad picked her up for the picture from one of her favorite activities, emptying the kitchen bowl drawer.
Here is Ruth on her 2nd birthday. 1984-Blaine, Minnesota. She was very happy about her new broom and dustpan! Also, she had her first party with the cousins that lived close by. Look how proud she is to have them all there!
Next is Ruth's Birthday Party when she turned 6. This was at the beginning of our 2nd year of homeschooling, our 1st official year in the school district. The year John was born-1988. The picture below of Ruth and David was that same summer before school started.
One year later. Ruth 7 years old, big sister sitting with siblings on the tire sandbox.
Ruth with John that same summer.
3 comments:
Happy birthday Ruth (in advance)! It's just too much fun to look at all the pictures from back in the day. I'm noticing that the right door on the coffee table is not yet upside down :). And also the peonies, which always got so mashed down over the winter and made seemingly miraculous recoveries each spring. Thanks for posting these great memories!
I enjoyed the pictures so much! It was fun looking through them and watching our family slowly grow bigger, and bigger, and bigger. It makes me miss us all being together!
Thanks for the great post, Mom! I love you tons! I liked all the good memories that these cute pictures brought back...
Post a Comment